Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Wonderful Scholars

This semester, I have such a wonderful group of young scholars in our Medieval history course. The class meets at 8:00 am--I think this early hour brings out the best students and brings out the best in students. They are punctual, respectful and eager to learn. They do the work I ask them to do on an exemplary level. In short, they are such a blessing to me.

We are working to challenge assumptions about the Medieval and Renaissance eras: the Medieval period brought some tremendous intellectual contributions, and the Renaissance was not an entirely secular movement. We will conclude the course with our look at the Scientific Revolution, paying particular attention to the strength of faith of these great men.

I am grateful for the opportunity to teach this material, and particularly, to teach to this group.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post brings fond memories of early classes in the fall of the year. Sounds like you are blessed with students eager to learn.

Many roads/businesses are still closed due to flooding but we were very fortunate. I am certain the leaves will be most colorful this year with all the moisture.

Blessings to you and your family.

Heather said...

I seem to remember that our Modern America class was at 8am. I hope we seemed eager to learn. I loved that class and wasn't sure I would like it that well. There were so many things about that era that I didn't know until I took your class. By the way have I ever said thanks for that? :) I often say that you were my favorite teacher in college. Don't tell Dr. J, he is second best. ;)

At Home Together said...

I think I just got to teach the good classes! I am glad you like the class. Yes, there really is something special about those early classes. Do you remember the Civil War class and the terrible "Mr. Fisher"?

Justin said...

mm... How I wish I could take one of your classes, Aunt Janis. Ah well. Maybe one day, haha. ;-)

Love to the fam,
J.

Anonymous said...

You are a great teacher and we love you very much!!!

Heather said...

Of course I remember our Civil War class and Mr. Fisher. HA! That was a good class too. I usually comment more on Modern American because I expected to like the Civil War class. :) You will be happy to know I finally can prove I had ancestors on both sides. My Confederate ancestor actually lived right up the road from Hannibal, just outside of LaGrange. He rode with Porter's bunch.

ReBecca McDonald said...

Mrs. Justus, you are the reason we do so well. You make us care about you, and in turn, us about the material and doing well. I've always done the best in your classes (as well as Mr. J's). You're my favorite part of Truett.
-Becca

At Home Together said...

And you are a Renaissance student--gifted in the humanities and arts! Glad to have you back here with us.

Mrs. Justus