Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Travail of Mary Todd Lincoln


Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of the 16th President, was the subject of our class discussion today. This beautiful and intelligent Kentucky belle no doubt brought a spark into the melancholy life of Abraham; yet, her mercurial temper and all-consuming need for attention robbed their marriage (and her position as First Lady) of so much potential.

Each of us in the class searched for sympathy for her: she buried three sons, and the surviving son had her institutionalized in a facility for the insane (which she was clearly was not). She witnessed the assassination of her husband on that fateful night at Ford's Theatre in April of 1865, and she was denied entrance to his bedside at the time of impending death.  To add insult to the injury of a broken heart, a life-time enemy, William Herndon, told  demoralizing stories of Lincoln's affection for Anne Rutledge. Herndon, Lincoln's one-time law-partner, asserted that the President had never really loved Mary, but had accepted his fate with her after the death of Miss Rutledge. Herndon went on the national circuit telling these stories--they were not confined to an intimate group of friends. 

With all of these sad stories, we still had difficulty feeling sorry for Mary. She was her own worst enemy.  I was appalled to read that when Abraham's favorite son Willie died (while they were in the White House), Mary spent large sums of money buying mourning clothes and jewelry!

I had hoped that learning more about her would lead me to see her as someone mistreated and misrepresented by historians, but the evidence overshadows any sympathetic interpretation of her life.

Having said all of this, I am convinced that she loved Abraham deeply and that she cherished her children. She suffered from the reputation-destroying combination of having a difficult personality in very difficult times.
Maybe research yet to be done will reveal a more positive side to Mary Todd Lincoln.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very interesting post. Mother and I both enjoyed our visit to Mount Vernon. I believe I have a cookbook from there.

At Home Together said...

I would love to see Mt. Vernon. I went there in high school, but don't remember much. Did you know that Martha W. began each day with an hour of solitude and prayer?

Susan said...

Hi Sissy,

Our church is only about 20 minutes from Mount Vernon. We actually have a family in church who live on property once owned by Washington. I believe that, perhaps more than any other man in history, Washington was truly even bigger than his legend.

At Home Together said...

Well-said! I would love to go there again. I have been to the Lincoln's Springfield home, and it was impressive even though it was a Yankee state.

Susan said...

Well, if y'all ever get a hankering to visit DC, you're welcome to stay with us. But you will have to bring a few standard provisions not available here: Chek cola, Sonny's bar-b-que, etc.

At Home Together said...

I can no longer get Check Cola. It's a wonder I have made it!

Heather said...

You post about Lincoln's house being in a Yankee state made me chuckle for the day! I was actually in Springfield, IL exactly a week ago. If you can stand to take the kids on a trip to a Yankee state the Lincoln Library/Museum is great. :) I've learned to get along with Yankees and Rebels. To do otherwise would betray one side of my ancestry or the other since I had relatives on both sides of the conflict.............