Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Beautiful Princess and Some Thoughts

This lovely painting is of none other than the marvelous Queen Elizabeth II.  We spent about 5 months in England in 1995, and I fell madly in love with the English people and their culture.  When we were there, Michael and I made of point of trying to be as positive and enthusiastic about all things British as we could. After all, we were guests in their splendid country. Some of the others in our group sadly fulfilled the stereotypical "ugly American" role by criticizing as much as possible. I was embarassed by their behavior.  We found the English people to be very kind, and we realized that there in Lincolnshire, we were the ones with the hard-to-undestand accents!

I was disappointed and hurt recently by the inappropriate and untrue remarks made by my once-favorite Beatle.  As a guest in the White House, Paul McCartney  used a very public occasion to blast President George W. Bush. If Sir Paul had made similar remarks about the current President, I would have felt just as incensed. I think that the Hollywood/Music Industry community believes that to trash a politically conservative American politician is to increase their own popularity. Sadly, this is all too true of the academic community as well.

Sir Paul will never be troubled one minute by this irate American's opinion, and he'll never realize that he is teaching a generation how not to act when visiting abroad! But at least I know this commoner from the American South had more manners when visiting "across the pond."

6 comments:

Patsy said...

Happy Birthday to the lovely Queen
Patsy

Susan said...

Sissy, I agree with everything you say here. I never met a kinder group of people than the English. we have couple in church from England and they'd do just anything for you. He even puts up with my shenanigans.
Have you read the new biography of the Queen Mum? Jame's got it for me and I have been making my way through it. Its over 1000 pages and was completely authorized by the Royal Family. It is also absolutely delightful.

Maggie Ann said...

I'm over from Patsy's...I'm always interested in the Queen...and have great respect & awe for her. I wish she would be more outspoken in holding up and onto what's right...as the world goes further and further away from the truth of God. ~~~~Your blog is very pretty.

K-Sue said...

What a nice tribute. When I see the PBS specials on the British royal family, I am always surprised at how hard the Queen's job is. She handles it with grace.

I agree with you about being a visitor in another place. As a Florida resident, I've heard some of the same from whiny tourists, and, of course, sometimes we whiny residents don't show proper appreciation for the folks who support us with their vacation $$. Maybe today I'll wave and smile at a New York Driver :)

At Home Together said...

Thank you, Maggie Ann. Yes, I really admire the Queen as well. I agree with you--her life and reign have stood for what is right!
K-Sue, I lived much of my life in FL--and later in beautiful East TN, so I know how tourists can be! Yes, wave to some for me! Thanks for commenting.

Heather said...

I am now inspired to wave at many new students that will be moving into the local university this weekend. :) Oh and also tourists in Hannibal next time I'm "home" to visit. Have always loved the British Royalty and England/Wales/Scotland/Norther Ireland. Still hoping to get to visit.......