Saturday, May 28, 2011

Paris Underground--A Post for Patsy


Patsy, this book, Paris Underground is the true story of Mrs. Etta Schiber, an American woman trapped in occupied Paris. She wrote this shortly after her escape and return to America. Mrs. Schiber was a widow who lived with a close friend, a British woman separated from her husband. These two ladies lived in a Paris apartment and were able to successfully hide and relocate British soldiers who had been trapped after Dunkirk.  A movie was made about Mrs. Schiber's story, but nothing compares to her account in written form. Her story reveals much about the mood of occcupied Paris. 

7 comments:

Patsy said...

Thank you, I am sure I will enjoy this book.
It does my heart good to read about the brave people that help to save American. They just new it was the right thing to do.
I am having trouble with comments I can only sended if I use anonymous.
Thanks again, Patsy

At Home Together said...

Thanks, Patsy. I hope you can find this book easily. It may be out of print, but it is worth looking for. Let me know what you think of it.

Anonymous said...

The book is out of print but I did find it, it will take some time to get it, but I will.
Patsy

At Home Together said...

Great! I stumbled on this story in a Reader's Digest ANthology of WWII stories and then found the book on ebay (several years back). You will really enjoy it and enjoy the comparison with the Americans in Paris book.

Lynda said...

It sounds like a wonderful story. I am amazed at the bravery of persons in WWII who helped hide and transport others needing safety.

Patsy said...

I found this book "And the Show went On" by Alan Riding
About the cultural life in Nazi-Occupied Paris
Patsy

At Home Together said...

Thanks, Patsy. I will look for that one, too.