Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mary I (1516-1558)

Never has an earthly monarch faced such difficulty, but never has a monarch possessed such strong faith. Mary's faith brought her through the terrible separation from and loss of her beloved mother, Catherine of Aragon. Her faith sustained her when she was stripped of her legitimacy by her father, Henry VIII. Her faith sustained her as she lived in constant fear for her life, and her faith sustained her in a most painful marriage to the heir to the Spanish throne. Mary remained faithful to her country, to her Church and to her Lord Jesus Christ.

1 comments:

Heather said...

One of my favorite periods in history is the one in which the Tudors reigned in England. It is so very complex. As with you and the book on nurses in WWII it was a historical fiction book on Lady Jane Grey that sparked my love of this era. Now I have more books on it than I should. I really wish I could have had a member of the Justus house for my British history classes.