Thursday, June 4, 2009

Maybe . . .


At Florida, I spent almost as much time in the Classics Department as I did the History Department. My courses in Latin were among my very favorite in the MANY years I spent at UF. Our kids have jumped right in with the Wheelock's Latin course and are doing well with it.
There is a good chance that I may be able to teach first-year Latin next year at Truett. I think that would be a dream come true.
These past few years, I have come to realize how much I truly love teaching and studying History. I wouldn't change my career path for anything. So why do I want to teach Latin? Actually, Latin is history itself. All of my Latin professors at Florida incorporated History into the study of the language. So teaching Latin is teaching history!
My mom could never understand why in the world I would take Latin courses. If you or your children have the chance to study Latin, do it! You'll be amazed at what you will learn about the structure of the English language. Our boys have sailed through much of the grammar of the A Beka program this year because they have a background in Latin grammar. They know the parts of speech (in all their guises, no less) from the time we have spent in Latin.
Our founding fathers were educated in the old Classical mold: Latin, Greek and History were among the most important of subjects. Would it be so bad if we went back to this tried and true approach?

0 comments: