Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Reading Journal



In the History of Tudor/Stuart England, we will be taking a bit of a different approach to reading.  The students are required to read (in addition to their text) Alison Wier's The Children of Henry VIII. Rather than write a book review as my students did  with their books last semester, I want them to keep a "reading journal."  This will be a collection of observations, synopses and critical evaluations of each of the book's chapters.  The students will be allowed to write in first person as they would in a diary. I will also complete this assignment.  At the end of the semester, we can all "compare notes," literally and figuratively. 

This class is quite full for an upper division course, and it is at 8:00 am!  I am already proud of them and have the highest of expectations for their work!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "diary" sounds like a great idea and it will be interesting to compare later. I am/was an early riser and had a few of those 8 a.m. classes at TMC!

At Home Together said...

Yesterday, on eof my students in that class asked me if i am a "morning person." : D
1st period at UF was 7:25 am!

Heather said...

Oh my Goodness!!! 7:25 would have killed me in college although now I have to be at work by 7am. :) I don't like and I don't keep the same "sleeping hours" during the summer. A journal sounds great! I have that book too. I might read it along with you all. I'll go home tonight and see if I can find my copy. I have most of Alison Weir's books.

By the way just so you know your and Dr. Justus' 8am classes were the only ones I didn't dread getting up for. :)