Thursday, March 25, 2010

Every Feminist's Nightmare . . .

I love to learn about the First Ladies of our Nation's history.  The gowns, the china, and the refurbishing from time to time of the White House --these topics, rather than how pillow talk leads to policy and empowerment have drawn me to the First Ladies for years!



Just look at Lady Bird's gown--she truly was the "Yellow Rose of Texas" in this beautiful picture.
This summer, we will be looking at America's First Ladies.  These women had no Constitutional guidelines (or limitations) and without question played dramatic roles in the Chief Exexcutive's decision-making.  We'll look at the backgrounds of these extraordinary ladies and their places in the unfolding of history.
But, we'll also take time to explore their contributions to popular culture as well.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these photos and this will be so interesting.

Heather said...

I was wondering if you had a chance to watch the recent American Experience episode about Dolly Madison? I thought it was pretty good. It is so sad how her relationship with her son from her first marriage ended up. Also it was interesting to see how she made the role of First Lady head in the direction that it is today.

Lauren Webb Kelley said...

I want to enroll! I loved talking about them in President's class and I'm glad you're doing this class.

Patsy said...

I hope you will do more on the blog of this.
Patsy