Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Americans In Paris


For many years, I have enjoyed learning about the period of German occupation in France during World War II. Recently, I purchased this fascinating book by Charles Glass, Americans in Paris: Life and Death Under Nazi Occupation. In this work, Glass chronicles the lives of a number of Americans as they face the overwhelming presence of the enemy.

My favorite character thus far is the Countess de Chambrun. She was Ohio-born Clara Longworth, and her infamous sister-in-law was none other than Alice Roosevelt Longworth. The Countess is marvelous in her fearlessness and as my mother would say, her "gumption." This is a great read and I would recommend it to any who are interested in the era.

4 comments:

Patsy said...

I am going to see if I can get this book on my e-reader. We need to know about occupation the way things are going now in America.

TheAmericanDragn said...

Patsy--I am so glad to hear from you! Yes, this is a good read and reminds us of the precariousness of freedom. Thanks for commenting. I look at your blog quite often and love your photos of the signs of spring.

Patsy said...

I went to e-reader store and they have the book.
I was born in 1939 and well indoctrinated in the American dream and to have respect for God's chosen people.

At Home Together said...

Patsy, there are some uncomfortable details that could have been omitted about lifestyles, but these are the times. Like you, I stand with God's "Peculiar Treasure." We require our students to read The Hiding Place in World History and most have not read it until then.