Saturday, July 18, 2009

First Ladies



Those of you who know me know that I love to learn about First Ladies. From Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenshower and beyond, I have read over the years as many books as I could on the First Ladies (excluding the historically questionable Kitty Kelley-type works). Hopefully, I can weave a bit of history of our first ladies into the President's class without bothering the gentlemen too much.
Virginia loves First Ladies, too. One of the first biographies she read was on Abigail Adams. She also posted on our blog some interesting facts about the elegant Grace Coolidge.
A while back, my sister-in-law Sherry gave me a clipping on the various "causes" our First Ladies have adopted. I'll be sure to use that in our discussions as well.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janis, I thought the way in which they came up with this painting was very interesting. It is funny how all of our lives, we've seen Martha as frumpy, wrinkled and with white hair. I sure hope my relatives can find some younger photos of me and not remember me the way I am now!!!!!