Saturday, July 25, 2009

Marvelous!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was hoping to be able to teach Latin at TMC this year, but my plate is full, and the Latin at TMC will have to wait for a season. However, I was happy to continue this with our children here at home. Well, I received some wonderful news this week. John Thomas is in the accredited program this year, and will receive true SACS-accredited high school credit. As part of this program, he is required to take an elective. A Beka does not offer Latin, so I contacted them with the hopes of his receiving credit for the Latin studies we have done and will continue.

The upshot of all of this is that if I maintain the records of his study along with test and quiz scores (as with his other coursework), he will receive credit toward his graduation for the course! I am so excited about this, and so is he. We have worked at Latin for some time now, and learning the fundamentals of this ancient language has strengthened his writing and grammar skills. Latin will also improve his vocabulary skills in preparation for the SAT. We will complete at least 180 hours of Latin study over the course of the year. James Martin will do this as well, and I will include Ima Virginia in some of the vocabulary work. (She loves it, and some of her friends are learning Latin as well).

The text we will be using is the Wheelock's. This program of study is "tried and true."

I would make them all learn English,
and then I would let the clever ones
learn Latin as an honor.

Sir Winston Churchill



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is marvelous news! I know all of you are thrilled with this news. Hope you have a very pleasant weekend.

At Home Together said...

Thank you, Mildred. I am tickled that JT we receive some true academic credit for something we love to do!