Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Everyone's Wild About Harry . . .

I have really enjoyed teaching the President's class this semester.  At 47, I have seen that what was familiar to me in terms of political personalities is ancient history to many of my students.  Actually, this generation gap has some advantages.  I had a great time yesterday talking about Harry Truman and watching the students  fall in love with this great leader just as I did as a student many years ago. Republicans and Democrats alike admire Truman for his courage, integrity and candor (lots of candor!). My point to the students was that few presidents have had to face what he did--so many crises in every direction, at home and abroad.  He concluded World War II, admirably, defined and pursued a wise foreign policy, and dealt with labor and civil unrest here at home, all the while dealing with a cantankerous Congress.  But here is something to think about: Truman is much beloved today on either side of the party line, but my understanding of politics in the 1950's is that by the time Truman left office, both parties wanted him gone. How the passage of time has corrected their vision. 



2 comments:

Heather said...

I remember discussing Truman in Modern America. I had always liked Truman due to the fact he was from Missouri. However, I had a new appreciation of him after taking that class. It is very true that it was a miracle he even ever became President. Many times I wonder how many of the students who attend the university in my town really know anything about the man their school is named for.

Kate said...

I'm a little behind on the blog, but I'm excited to see that you devoted a post to Truman. When I took the President's class with Dr. Justus, I wrote a paper on Truman. I found it very interesting to see his humble beginnings that culminated in being the president! I think one reason so many people can fall in love with him now is that he actually had to do something while he was in office. He did not have an easy presidency, and although he served America in the 50's, people today can relate because we want the current Commander in Chief to actually do something.