Monday, December 14, 2009

Hoping They'll Learn to Love Learning


This is of course, a very stressful time for our students as they struggle to complete their papers and research assignments and study for final exams.  Through all of these travails, I hope that they can somehow learn to truly love learning-- to see college not as a means of avoiding the "real world" for four+ years, but as a source of great joy in their lives.  The Renaissance humanist, Francesco Petrarch, loved learning.  In fact, he left this good earth while studying at his desk.  He thought the best life was one wherein an individual could worship God and use the fine mind He had given.  But I know that if I  suggested this to some of my students this week, they would certainly throw something at me.

1 comments:

Lauren Webb Kelley said...

hahaha...I know you posted this like a month ago, but I really enjoyed reading it. I personally love being a student. If I could do that forever, I probably would. I'll admit that doing the same kinds of assignments each week can get mundane...but that doesn't happen in too many of my classes.