Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Barbara Tuchman, 1912-1989


One of my favorite historians was Mrs. Barbara Tuchman. She began her career as a journalist and then put those talents to work writing history.  Having earned only a Bachelor's degree, she nevertheless competed in a man's field (history) in a man's world.   Moreover, she did not write about women's history. She wrote about such diverse topics as the Trojan War, the close of the Medieval era and the American Revolution.  She won her first Pulitzer for The Guns of August (1962), a fascinating account of the events leading up to the Great War.  I have used her books as sources for several of my courses, and they have added so much color and detail to my lectures.  History, at its best, tells a true account of events and lives past, a true STORY. Mrs. Tuchman was particularly gifted at telling the stories behind the events of human history.

4 comments:

Patsy said...

Good, this is more like it. (No throwing in the towel. LOL
Patsy

K-Sue said...

Thank you for the referral. I've just requested 'The Guns of War' along with 'The Calamitous 14th Century' from my library. World War I is a subject I am just now learning about - maybe I slept through that part of my classes?

Anonymous said...

A very inspirational woman. Thank you for sharing with us.

Lynda said...

I think I told you that my favorite history teacher taught the subject matter like she was gossiping about the neighbors. It definitely got us listening and remembering in high school.