Friday, August 6, 2010

Yes, this is a picture of me at the First Ladies National Historc Site. We love National Parks, the National Park Service and the First Ladies. I loved seeing the displays they had put together here at the home of William and Ida McKinley.  The refurbishment of the home was done so lovingly and beautifully!
My only disappointment was with the docents and their presentations of the material.  These two ladies dressed in what was to pass for "period" dresses and they adopted historical personas:  Harriet Lane, the hostess for our only bachelor President, James Buchannan, and of all people, Alice Roosevelt.  Alice was certainly an historic figure, but also a very tragic and controversial figure.  The docent portraying Alice told unflattering stories about her character and about Ida McKinley.  She also tried to tell me that all of the Presidents in the post-Lincoln era were unfaithful to their wives.  I nearly fainted.  Rather than historical research to enrich their characterizations, these ladies apparently used some tell-all books with very questionable accuracy. Virginia, rather than hearing about how these women struggled to find their places or how they adopted certain causes to the benefit of the country, learned about the "dirt" on these ladies.
I hope that this doesn't represent what the Park Service believes to be the interests of the populace.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo of you at this lovely home. I am certainly sad to hear of the docent's attitude. Thankfully, you can fill your children in on the inaccuracies but what about other children who are not so fortunate? What a sad thing.

At Home Together said...

I have thought about contacting the Park Service about this, Mildred. They did so detract from the dignity of the office and from the person of Ida McKinley.

Lynda said...

I agree with both of you but unfortunately, too many people are influenced by our media and their liberal slant. They are missing such an opportunity to challenge young people in character building and hard work.

Patsy said...

Sounds more like a lot of gossipy ladies put this together. Love the photo of you.
Patsy

At Home Together said...

Thank you, Patsy. I have sent an email to the Site about these thoughts.

K-Sue said...

This sounds like a lovely display, but I share your frustration at the way sin is paraded by our children in the name of historical accuracy.

At Home Together said...

I contacted the site, and the response was that the docent had been there a year and had never had any complaints before. That says a lot about the management's values.

Heather said...

Well I am glad you emailed them anyway! Your posts have made me want to go visit here. If I am not pleased with the docent I'll be sure to complain too. Things won't change if we don't speak up. I'm glad you did. ;)